Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Courageous leaders inspire

I was asked a question today about how the world might look if people were inspired to be courageous leaders. I found it hard to use words to describe what I think it will feel like to be in this kind of world........and I have pondered this question over the course of the last few hours and am going to attempt to put my thoughts and feelings into words.

Firstly I think the reason I found it so hard is because I do not know what it could possibly look like if we had people leading courageously as one symbiotic population of leaders within an organisation or even within every organisation in a country - no political game playing, no fear, no deception, no blame, no justifying, no controlling others. The opportunities and possibilites are truly exponential! So I needed to time to think and explore before I could respond - I could easily describe what I wanted us to move away from but it was not so easy to describe what I wanted us to move TOWARDS.

If we had each complete population of leaders within every organisation in every country adopting the mantle of courageous leader we would have a world where each leader took total responsibility for the ramifications of their decisions and would not make them from an egotistical or greedy basis. It would be like standing at the peak of a mountain and seeing no boundaries just limitless blue in front of you; and everyone would be standing with you feeling inspired about the future and what it was going to bring. You would almost feel breathless like you do at the peak of a huge mountain - only it would be because of the anticipation of what "might be" as we proceed into the future. We would have complete transparency with everyone believing in abundancy and not scarcity and our underlying principle would be that of "pay it forward". Trust would be complete as people would not feel the need to "hide" anything and would trust that the leaders would make decisions based on their trusted conscience of the "right thing to do" - and at a moral and ethical level we all recognise there is a right way to do things where we look after people, finances and the environment.

I believe there HAS to be another way of leading people to create our bountiful future - and I would not want to limit anyone's thinking about what we COULD achieve as a result of being a courageous leader. And that is probably why I find it hard to describe the future because I am limited by my own thinking and want dynamic, curious, interesting and collaborative interactions with other courageous leaders to truly explore what we could be capable of achieving.

It is therefore important for me to conclude that courageous leaders inspire...........they inspire us to dream of and envision a new and exhilerating way of "being."

No comments:

Post a Comment

See more about Courageous Leaders on our website